On March 20, 1947 the first Foreign Service News Letter was published by the office of the Director General of the United States Foreign Service. This monthly publication’s purpose was to “acquaint members of the Foreign Service with plans and developments of interest to or which may affect operations or personnel in the field.”
A Department Notice dated April 21, 1961, announced that “the Foreign Service News Letter, formerly published by the Director General of the Foreign Service, will be retitled the Department of State News Letter, effective with the issue of May 15, 1961.” In its new form, the News Letter was intended to “acquaint the Department’s officers and employees, at home and abroad, with developments of interest which may affect operations or personnel.”
The final issue of the Department of State News Letter was published in December, 1980, and was immediately succeeded by the January, 1981, publication of State. In 1996, with the June/July issue, the publication changed its name to State Magazine.
Citing fiscal and environmental benefits, State Magazine transitioned to a dynamic digital-only multimedia publication available online and via mobile app on web-enabled Apple iOS and Android devices, beginning with the October 2015 issue.
Expanding on the benefits of digital multimedia, State Magazine transitioned to this current website environment in 2019. The adaptable website is desktop, tablet and mobile accessible while enhancing 508 compliance. The first issue in this format was released August 1, 2019.